Tuesday, April 08, 2008

My bagel recipe


Cinnamon-raisin Bagel



Ok....so, I wanna get this down before I forget. :P

As usual I didn't use very strict guidelines.
3 to 4 (maybe more) cups of wheat flour

3 spoon of brown sugar

1 full tea spoon of salt

11 grams of dry yeast

half a cup of raisins

1 spoon of cinnamon

water


I put the flour (3 cups) on a bowel, made a hole in the middle -I just wanted to try this hole thing as its in so many dough recipes.....but my way is better, I mix the yeast in water separatly and then add flour - i put the yeast in the midle, the sugar on top, the salt on the flour, not touching the yeast, then put a cup of warm water on the yeast and sugar and let it become moist and foamy for 5 to 10 minutes.

Then begin to mix everything together, i added half a cup of water to the cup that was in.

Then I decided to wash the dough in warm water.. in become slippery and a milky liquid coming out of it, which I drained. This is the carbohidrates coming out and the protein stays.. this makes the dough chewey. I then mixed the dough again, added more flour until it was hard again and let it rise for 40 minutes.


Then i gently pushed the dough down and washed it again! Added a bit more flour, mixed, then added the raisins.

Then added more flour and added the cinnamon. Adding the cinnamon in the end means it is not mixed evenly, and that's exatly how it is at dunking donuts. And if it's all mixed it tastes pretty bad..

about the mixing, in all the process I try to knead the dough alot, because that makes the protein more active, and thus more chewey in the end. so knead as much as you can. Having a machine to help is great.

After adding the cinnamon don't knead much further, just fold it once or twice and punch it. Make balls the size of your palm and punch a hole in the middle with your fingers, make the hole about 3 centimeters large. for those of you that don't use centimeters,
it's about this long ---------------------

Then, I heated a bit of water with more then half a cup of brown sugar, to caramelize it... then added alot more water and let it come to a boil.

then boiled the bagels for 4 minutes..... I think. turning them around at 2 minutes. then covered them in seeds , oatmeal, cornmeal.. whatever you'd like, or nothing at all. put them in a wax paper and bake them for about 30 to 40 minutes at 250ยบ ... (about 450 F Maybe).

Then eat them with LOADS of Philadelphia cream cheese!!! Be happy.

No comments: